Teacher Resources News


日期: 2017-07-20
浏览次数: 186
SDE Teacher Resources

Questions about teaching in the classroom, how much experience other teachers might have, and what material you'll be provided.

How long have SDE teachers been teaching?

From fresh teachers to senior teachers, people who work for us come from all backgrounds and experiences.

Is teaching experience necessary before moving to China?

While teaching experience is not necessary before moving to China, all teachers with less than 2 years teaching experience are required to have a teaching certificate (TEFL, TESOL, CELTA, etc.) before coming to Shenzhen to teach. We can help you get set up with a course. Once a course is started, it will take 2-3 weeks to complete.

Are online TEFL programs acceptable? Does SDE have any reputable recommendations? 

SDE works with TFA (Teachers for Asia Academy) to assist our incoming teachers to become TEFL certified. It is a 120 hour online TEFL in length and will provide a foundation to begin teaching English as a foreign language. It is 100% online without any offline attendance needed, and is internationally recognized. We can reimburse you after arrival covering the cost of this course. 

What are the general age ranges of students? 

Kindergarten: 3-6 years old

Primary school: 6-11 years old

Middle school: 11-15 years old

High school: 15-18 years old

Language Centers: 3-18 years old

Will I use textbooks in the classroom? Is curriculum provided?

Public Schools have curriculum for students in their primary English lessons. Most will not have a dedicated book for a foreign teacher’s class, as they already have an English book for the primary English lessons by a local teacher. Foreign teachers are welcome to build upon the curriculum by creating supplementary lessons with new activities and games to review with students. However, teachers will mainly be responsible for creating their own lessons and curriculum according to the level of the students.

Language centers (training centers) will have textbooks and curriculum for the teachers to follow more closely.

What will the students expect of me? What are their goals?

Student expectations and goals will generally vary by age group. K-12 students studying English are required to take an English course; for subjects outside of English being taught in English, students are generally preparing for international schools or study abroad. Students in adult training centers are seeking to improve their career and business opportunities.

Will the students know any English to begin with?

Students will have their primary English lessons starting from first grade. English is often heard from T.V. shows, movies, and commercials. Even those who have not studied English before will still know “Hello!” and “How are you?” Communication in English only is possible with students at all ages and levels and it’s surprising how effective body language and just one word can be. However, you will surely need to get creative in how you introduce more difficult activities and concepts. If it becomes too difficult, there may be a teacher assistant to help out!

Will I have a teaching assistant?

While it’s not a guarantee, classes under grade 3 typically have a teaching assistant to support foreign teachers in the classroom. Above grade 3, there may be student TA’s to make sure routines are adhered to. In training centers and kindergartens, there will be a TA present.

Do teachers experience any challenges with the large class sizes?  

During online orientation and after your arrival, we will go over the aspects of classroom management to share experiences and strategies with you.

Do teachers in China need a state teaching license from their home country?

A formal teaching license from your home country is not a requirement to teach English in China. If you are an applicant with a formal teaching license, then a TEFL certification may not be necessary.

News / Recommended News More
Copyright ©2005 - 2017 SDE Teacher