Teacher Resources News


日期: 2017-07-20
浏览次数: 101
SDE Teacher Resources

Questions about going to see the doctor in China, and questions about general health in China that you might have.


Is it convenient to see a doctor? Are there English speaking doctors in Shenzhen? Is it affordable?

Your Foreign Teacher Management Specialist will accompany you to the hospital if anything ever occurs. While a lot of the staff in clinics hospitals do not speak fluent English, most of the doctors will be able to speak conversational English.

What does the social and accidental insurance cover?

Social insurance, at most, can cover up to 90% of inpatient fees. The accurate rate depends on the medicine used and services covered in the visit. Accident insurance can cover up to ¥10,000 RMB in a contract period (1 year) as long as it applies to the accident insurance. For more information, please ask your Foreign Teacher Management Specialist.

Can I live a healthy lifestyle in Shenzhen? 

If you seek a healthy lifestyle, you will find it. There are plenty of fruit and vegetable stalls all around Shenzhen. The air is very clean and provides a good environment for any outdoor exercise. Additionally, there are plenty of gyms and athletic centers.

I need to bring medicine with me to China. What and how much am I allowed to bring?

Before leaving, please check with the airline you plan to take for the most up-to-date and accurate information for airline rules and regulations regarding medicines. As for crossing borders, remember to bring any prescriptions with you. For refills, trips to Hong Kong are convenient and western medicines are readily available.

I am sick and have to teach a class. What can I do?

First, let your specialist and contact teacher at the school know that you are sick. If you must take sick leave, you must let both SDE and the school know first. If you can teach class but need to keep your energy down, discuss this with a teacher at the school and see if you can find an activity for the students to do independently. For more info about keeping your health and teaching while sick, read our teacher's blog, Alex, on his website at How The Hell Do I Teach, I've Lost My Voice Again

How do I stay healthy in China?

Teachers will inevitably get sick because of changes to the new environment. For this reason, we recommend that you bring a variety of medications from your home country to combat things like the flu, diarrhea, and other general illnesses.

In addition to this, we also recommend that you keep the following advice in mind:

·         Do not drink tap water in China. Drink boiled or bottled water only.

·         Eat completely cooked food only.

·         Avoid food carts and vendors that are not there consistently.

·         Don’t swim in rivers or lakes.

Do I need any immunizations before coming to China?

Make sure you are up-to-date on routine vaccines before every trip. These vaccines include measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine, diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis vaccine, varicella (chickenpox) vaccine, polio vaccine, and your yearly flu shot. Additionally, we strongly recommend teachers to get Hepatitis A and B as well as Typhoid vaccine.

I am concerned about the pollution in China. What is that like in Shenzhen? 

Shenzhen is consistently ranked in the top 10 cities for cleanest air in China. You can refer to this SDE non-affiliated video for more information: www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_DNf40z3m0&t=1s

News / Recommended News More
Copyright ©2005 - 2017 SDE Teacher